Kids Like Us is always looking for passionate people to join our team. Tutors must have an interest in working with gifted, quirky kids at secondary and VCE level in the areas of Math, Science and English.
Hours: Flexible: weekdays: between 3pm-8pm; weekends: between 10am-4pm
• Staying power – these kids are tricky but great fun. We don’t want people who drop out after a term unless there is a genuine need to do so. You will be supported to create learning opportunities, to modify tasks a child arrives with, to use alternative materials and means to get the job done and to be involved in professional development, supervision and reporting back.
• High tolerance of expressions of complex emotions or fears. All these kids have something they are more competent, knowledgeable, experienced or skilled at than the majority of their age mates but it may never have been harnessed or acknowledged. They expect to struggle, be criticised, “kept in” at recess etc. so they may react very negatively at first to extra “work”.
• The capacity to stop and listen to the student. Kids Like Us kids are encouraged to explain their differences to teachers, parents, friends and family. This difference will often be very hard for the student to publicly admit. When being told the information it must be received with compassion and a willingness to attempt the changes the student asks for.
• The courage and willingness to think on their feet, to change track, offer variety and to not get panicked by a negative emotional reaction to their presence.
• A willingness to work with their own and the students strengths and use these areas for learning rather than focusing in upon the deficit.
• To be a person who is excited by a student’s growth, courage, empathy and compassion.
• The ability to work alongside a team to develop the best outcome for the individual student.
• Almost a fanatical desire to elicit change in a student and their environment.
• To have fun.
• To share the process of learning.
• A passion for the subject you are teaching.
• Possess Australian recognised university qualifications or be currently enrolled at an Australian University
✓ Have the right to work in Australia
✓ Possess a current Working with Children and National Police Checks
✓ Excellent communication and interpersonal skills combined with a thorough understanding of the high school curriculum, specific to their chosen teaching subject.
✓ Preference is given to applicants who have an awareness of gifted education and learning differences.
Candidates must have scored:
✓ either an ATAR equivalent to 90 or above, or
✓ a score of 40 or above in their chosen teaching subject
✓ or equivalent academic results, or
✓ experience of working with complex students.
✓ AND be studying or have recently completed a degree in Education (Secondary) in Australia or overseas.
Applications are encouraged from passionate individuals with well developed teaching skills who are flexible and compassionate. If you are creative, take initiative, easily build rapport with students and colleagues, can commit to the mission of KLU and understand the positive use of carrots, we’d love to hear from you!
For more information, please send a cover letter and resume, a copy of your VCE results and 10 bullet points (or 500 words) outlining “how to engage a 2e student” to: HR@kidslikeus.org.au or telephone 03 9585 8503.